Thursday, June 3, 2010

Today is the day

I've had the idea for this blog for a good two months and have had the blog created for a good portion of those two months, however I never brought myself to start it. The whole point of "Kicking the Cupcake" is to follow my journey to weight loss, something I've also been putting off. I'm not huge and I don't think I look disgusting, but it's very obvious to me I could use a little trimming. I'm 5'4 and weigh 160 pounds. Most girls would probably faint after seeing this number on the scale but I keep it in perspective.

I have hips, and muscle, and come from a family that is just thick. One of my best friend is the same exact weight as me, we wear nearly the same size, we share clothes, but at 5'11 that 160 pounds is so evenly distributed that she is skinny. I've always been a thicker, curvier, girl and a lot of times I like it, but there are times where I'd love to just bust out a bikini and look flawless, where I'd love for guys to talk about my "perfect body", when I'd just die to be able to wear even a size 6. In middle school I hit that awkward stage where I had frizzy hair, glasses, and looked like a rolly poly and I worked my butt off to slim down. By the time I got to high school I had lost a good 20 pounds on my own and maintained the same weight all throughout and into college.

Then I started my sophmore year, got a new boyfriend, started working 33 hours on tope of the 19 credit hours I was taking, and still wanted a social life. I stopped working out as much which initially didn't make me gain much weight mostly because I don't eat too terrible, aside from the occassional bowl of ice cream or french fry. But, then I got on BC (birth control for those who can't determine acronyms) and almost instantly gained 10 pounds, which is a pretty normal side affect due to how it messes with your hormones. However, since it wasn't weight put on from over eating or the end of my normal work outs, it has been much harder to take off.

I decided it was truely time to get back in shape when it started warming up and certain clothing items that looked great on me last year, don't look so great on me this year. To add insult to injury it seems that my friends are losing weight left and right, a kick in the gut to my self esteem.

After much resistance and denial I have finally decided that there is no better time than now to work on slimming down and becoming a healthier me. I know it will probably take some time to find the right combination of work outs and eating right for a noticable change to happen, but I'm ready to work towards it. It's all about knowing how to eat and self disipline. Ideally I'd love to lose at least 20 pounds, but I'm not really paying much attention to the scale. I just want to look good and feel good not only in my clothes, but in my own skin.

I decided to blog about this journey mostly for myself. I feel like having a place to openly and honestly convey my feelings, thoughts, and progress will (hopefully) make me feel the need to keep going with it. I have a thing with finishing things once I start them and there's no better way to feel the need to keep on something when it's out there for anyone to read. I don't care if people read this or if I'm the sole person who knows how this is all going, but regardless I hope this blog can be a place for inspiration, encouragment, and probably some entertainment.

Enjoy, and wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. As the creator of In It To Gym It, I hear you, and I LOVE this. Let me know if you want to join the crew! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow I would love to join!!! :)

    ReplyDelete