Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dinner for two

Dinner last night was a success! I spent nearly 2 whole hours getting everything prepared and cooked, but it was worth it in the end. Everything tasted delicious and all my worries were put to rest. My boyfriend even loved it!
I started off with Tomato Mozzerella Salad. The original recipe I was going to try was a Tomato Mozerella Skillet, but since it's been so hot lately I decided a cool salad would be better. So, basically I threw some stuff in a bowl and hoped it turned out edible. I used a ton of cherry tomatos, half a block of mozzerella, some olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, a hint of minced garlic, and a dash of sugar. I put it in the fridge to marinade for about an hour, and it turned out wonderful.

While I was working on the salad I had already started my Chicken Kabobs. First I took the chicken breasts and marinated them in a mixture of worcestershire sauce and pineapple juice. I just kept adding both until the mixture was just right. Then I cut the chicken breasts into strips, poured the marinade into a baggie and soaked the chicken in it for an hour. Then I cut up sweet onions, green peppers, pineapple, and cherry tomatos. When the chicken was done marinating I cut the strips into chunks and started threading the chicken and vegetables on skewers, put them on cooking sheets, poured the rest of the marinade over them, and put them in the oven to broil (yes I'm lame and don't have a grill).
Then we have the "grilled" corn. I soaked the corn cobs still in the husks in cold water for 20 minutes while I made a little mixture of butter, parsley, and a dash of salt. I used yogurt butter to make it healthier, and yogurt butter tastes just the same as regular butter so don't fret! After the corn was done soaking I pulled back the husks and put a thin coat of the mixture over the cobs. After that I put the husks back over the cobs and wrapped them in tin foil and put them in the broiler. When they came out all I had to do was unhusk the corn and they were good to go.

I was super pleased with my effort and really excited that everything was surprisingly low in fat and calories. I'm planning on looking for more healthy recipes and maybe trying to cook a nice dinner like this at least once a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment